The following is a list of common questions that people have about starting Aikido practice.
- Where is the dojo located?
302 Carlaw Avenue, Studio 121, Toronto (on the west side of Carlaw, north of Queen, south of Dundas, across the street from 245 Carlaw)
- How do I get started?
There are a number of ways that you can try out a class to figure out if Aikido and the dojo are right for you:
- Go to any basics class (Monday or Thursday 6:30 – 7:30, Saturday 10 – 11:30).
- On the first Monday of the month (6:30 – 7:30) we have an introductory class. read more
- Attend an introductory workshop (given twice a year). This session is three hours long and covers many aspects of Aikido practice.
Your first class is free, as are the intro class and workshop. Come 10 – 15 minutes before the start of class to meet the instructor, to sign a release form and to change your clothes.
- What do I wear for my first class?
Wear a t-shirt or sweat shirt and loose-fitting pants. If you already have a martial arts uniform, you are welcome to wear it with a white belt.
- What if I decide to join?
We have a three-month beginner’s package ($200) to help you get started in your practice. It includes three months of unlimited classes and a $40 annual membership fee. It is recommended that your first few classes are basics classes. These classes are geared to help you learn some of the fundamental movements in Aikido practice. They help you build a solid foundation. Once you are feeling a little familiar with the moves, you can join in the all levels classes, but keep coming to the basics classes. (Please note that fees are non-refundable.)
- How often should I come to class?
The more frequently you come to class, the more quickly you learn. While three times a week is ideal for your training, it may not be practical for you, given the busy schedules so many of us have. Twice a week is good. The most important thing is to practice regularly, as frequently as possible.
For common questions regarding aikido see our about page. Read More.